Wednesday 28 December 2011

Music is medicine

I witnessed something beautiful last week. As I was leaving work on Thursday evening, very excited about the Christmas weekend ahead, I walked past the psychiatric unit as I do every day. As I came closer I heard the sound of two woman singing – one a nurse and the other a patient. The patient was obviously quite heavily sedated on antipsychotics. The nurse had her phone out and was playing a well known song from which both of them were singing along.
As I stopped to admire the scene, the nurse paused the music and said: “Hey Doc, I hear singing and music is very therapeutic.” Then, without another word, the music was back on and they carried on. I sauntered off with a very big grin on my face, not only because it was the weekend, but because of what I had just encountered. As I strolled home I thought to myself: maybe psychiatry isn’t a lost cause here after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment