Friday 6 July 2012

Hello from Southern Africa (not South Africa)

So, I shall keep this brief. Three weeks ago I flew home to surprise my mum for her sixtieth birthday (sorry for giving your age away, but you know you do not look a day over thirty). I think she was rather pleased. Being at home was absolutely wonderful – it reminded me of how lucky I am and what a surreal life I live at the moment. After an intense nine days in the UK I flew back to South Africa for a mere five days of work. I cannot lie (well, except for lying to my mother – but I had good intentions), it was a tough five days. Am I destined to do this for the rest of my life? I hope not. All I want in life, like most, is a family and to love and be loved. However, my narcissistic life was instantly thrown back to the ground during the one on call I did last week. I was summoned to casualty at 2 am after a car had lost control and collided with a rondavel – someone’s house. Sleeping just seconds prior to the accident were two mothers, each with a young child. Three were surprisingly well; unfortunately the youngest, an eight month old girl, died minutes before I arrived. It really did put things back in perspective. I have committed myself to another year at Holy Cross.
Now, why keep this brief? Well, before I give Holy Cross another year of “Dom in South Africa” I am taking two months of unpaid leave. My friend and I have started our trip up to Uganda and are currently in Zambia. For those bad on geography we passed through Botswana before arriving in Livingstone (Botswana), where we are now. Yesterday we stumbled around Victoria Falls (WOW) and today rafted down the white waters of the Zambezi. In four days we should be in Tanzania en route to Rwanda to see the Gorillas on July 16th. After that we shall have more time to relax and slowly work our way back down the continent.
Internet is bad, so no photos. If we do find a good spot maybe I shall write a bit more on the adventures of Dom and Bhamini (like harmony, but with a ‘B’) in Mitch or MiMi (Mitch’s weekend name).

No comments:

Post a Comment